I know that everyone sees this alot, but I just wanted to point out how easy it is to gets lots of wear out of a great spring/summer dress year round. See below for what I am wearing and my tips for how to come up with your own fun combo!
(please excuse my messy home office in the background!)
Starting with this basic dress from Target (black background, green and blue dot print)
Adding a sweater, tights and boots
Now for the pictures NOT taken with an iPhone ;)
Added a scarf and accessories......so easy to go from one season to the next without buying additional clothes. I love doing this!
What I am wearing:
Scarf: Handmade from Etsy here
Boots: Madden Girl (several seasons ago)
Gorjana "Brinkley" bracelet via Rue La La
The dress I am wearing I wore a ton in the summer months - super easy to wear, comfortable, cute, forgiving and cool in the hot temps. I have paired it with and without a wide belt. Worn it with sandals and with pumps. Out for a day of running errands, to dinner and worn it to the office.
Now that the temps are cooler I have topped it with a sweater, pulled on some tights and boots and even added a scarf. I still love it just as much in the fall and cooler months as I did in the warmer months and it is so easy to do!
I'll bet you have several dresses or skirts in your closet that you could carry over from season to season.
Some rules of thumb if you are going to try this out:
- Make sure that the fabric is heavy enough (or looks heavy enough) to cross over into cooler temps. The dress I am wearing is actually a very light material, but it is lined with a heavier weight material that makes it a perfect dress to "cross-over".
- Prints are fine. Florals are even fine in the cooler months as long as they aren't to "tropical". It is hard to make a hawiian flower look right with a sweater and boots in the winter.
- Brights and pastels are certainly in right now even for the fall and winter months so don't shy away from those completely.
- Maxi dress and skirts work great in the cooler months, but do NOT wear pumps with them! Wear flats, sandals or flat boots. A small wedge may work if you are very short, but be cautious.
- Pair your floral skirt/dress with an edgy leather jacket and boots or put a boxy oversized sweater over a maxi dress and flats. A fitted sweater looks great with a full skirted dress, too! Have fun and play around with different combos. You might be surprised what you come up with!
Well that is all I have for now. I hope you enjoyed this post!