Friday, December 28, 2012

Pink Pout?

I know there is so much out there right now about red lips, burgundy lips, etc. but I am now and always have been a pink kinda girl. I mean, I have seen many girls looking just stunning in their leopard print scarf and red lip ensemble, but it never feels right to me when I try it.  I have just never felt comfortable in those shades and I have never thought they were flattering - for me. Even on gorgeous girls who wear red well, I always prefer pinks, though. I really like that softer more sensual look. Take Gwen Stefani for instance. Could there be anyone more born to wear red lips? I have always wondered how she can be so blonde and pale skinned and wear such a bold look so perfectly! But I have seen her in a soft pink lip, as well, and she looks INCREDIBLE! 
(Gwen w/ Pinks)
 
Listen, no matter what the trend is, what your eye color is, your hair color or how old or young you are, pink lips are pretty universally flattering.
For my personal tastes I also think it comes down to the fact that I have never viewed my lips as my strong feature and instead gravitate towards my eyes for that title. Because of that I tend to really play up my eyes with shadow, black liner and mascara (I NEVER leave the house without mascara - ok, almost never ;). When you focus that much on eyes I never think it works to also do a bold lip. It needs to be one or the other. Since I am always playing up my eyes a muted or pinky shimmery lip is the perfect balance.
 
Examples of what I am rambling on about:
 



Just in case there are any other girls out there like me who have tried the current trend of the dark lip and just can't seem to embrace it I want to give you some options for some incredibly yummy and flattering pink lips (to go with your knock-out gorgeous smokey eyes! :)
 
I think I have purchased just about every brand over the years that is out there - and then some. I have been wearing this stuff since high school (that was more than 15 years ago!) and I am always finding my new "favorite" one...I always seem to have a key couple that I stick with no matter how many times I momentarily stray.
 
Let me introduce you to a few I am very familiar with and maybe one of them will become a "go to" for you, too :)


1. Jordana Pretty Shine gloss ($1.99) - No kidding - This gloss, which I have only found available at Walgreens in my area, is less than $2.00!  It is very shiny/sparkly, but goes on butter smooth and last forever. It is not sticky in the least and provides great coverage. I have literally been wearing this since the 90's. I believe they recently discontinued this gloss, however. Last time I was in Walgreen's I could not find it. If you can get your hands on it I highly suggest you try it out! I love it in "Cute" and "Lovely".


(The next four you will find below sampled on lips below - my personal tubes of each are pictured above)

(M.A.C. Lipglass "Dreamy")

2. M.A.C. Lipglass in "Dreamy" (Macy's $15) - this is a subtle pink color with a slight glittery tone. Almost toward the nude end of the spectrum when applied. I have worn this one to death (there used to be print on the outside of the bottle and you can see from my pic above it is gone! ;) but I think I am moving on. A good gloss as far as the texture and feel, but it really doesn't last very long for the price and the color isn't enough "pop" for me. Plus the amount in the actual bottle makes the price per ounce pretty outrageous - I just expect a bit more performance. I am a huge M.A.C. fan and loyal customer so that is not easy for me to say, but I want to help you out! My advice: save your money and try another line.


3. M.A.C. PRO LONGWEAR Lipglass in "Infinitely Likable" (Macy's $19.50) - definitely a favorite!  This M.A.C. gloss is even pricier than the tinted "Lipglass" above. While price per ounce goes up so does the quality in my experience having worn the two. This one goes on heavier and it is stickier than alot of other glosses (including it's M.A.C. sister above). It is really like a lipstick/gloss hybrid. But it does last alot longer than your standard gloss. This color is very "bubble gum" pink. When I first wore it I didn't think I liked it (it was shockingly "bubble gum" actually), but the girl at the counter sold me on it and I was actually glad that she did because it grew on me and it looks so fresh and young.  Not a color I would have ever chosen on my own. (to make the gloss a little more comfortable to wear (less sticky) they did come out with a clear top coat that is available for $15 - I have not used this top coat so I am not sure how it wears). I am not sure this is a pink that would wear well on every skin tone/hair color, etc. I am blonde hair, blue eyes with fair skin and I think is was custom made for that combo. Still might be worth a stop at the M.A.C. counter to try it out if you get a chance :)

(Benefit Jing-a-Ling)

4. Benefit "Jing a Ling" (Macy's/Sephora $18) - This is an actual lipstick, but has features like a gloss. The feel when it glides on is buttery smooth and it has a sheen unlike a typical lipstick without being "glittery". This is a very neutral almost coral pink color that goes well with everything. My only complaint with this one is that it doesn't seem to last super long. Still is a fairly good value per ounce vs other luxury brands. An easy one to try out during your next stop through Sephora!


5. Maybelline Color Sensational Pearls lip color in "Pearly Pink" (drug and department stores $7) - I have been wearing this shade for many years although they have re-launched the line and tweaked it a bit it is the same shade and seems to be the same formula as before - if it isn't broken, don't fix it! ;) The price alone makes this one worth trying if you are looking for a "pearly pink" (pun intended!) but with the great price comes a really great lip color. It is a lipstick, but is another one that is kind of a hybrid with a gloss. It is more shimmery (which I actually love) than some of the ones on this list and it does have fairly good staying power. And really at this price you can re-apply all day long and still come out with a great deal on this tube of beautiful girly lip color!

Okay, I think I have given you enough for today!  Hope you made it to the end and enjoyed this little essay - LOL! ;)
XO
Jessy
 





14 comments:

  1. I never would have purchased the Jordana tube, I'm definitely going to check them out now. Thank you for the rec xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly my in my top one of two glosses of all time! I wouldn't steer you wrong ;)
      Xo
      Jessy

      Delete
  2. very nice makeup style! smokey eyes and pale lips my favourite :-)

    my blog is
    donnaiveh.blogspot.com

    lets follow each other on GFC, FB,Twitter,Bloglovin´

    great day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't pull off pink, no matter how hard I try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tereza - I have a hard time believing that there is anything you couldn't pull off! I know for sure that you can rock the red lips ;)
      Xo
      Jessy

      Delete
  4. Love all MAC products! I don't really like pink coloured lipstick ,but there are persons (like Gwen) who can look great with it.:)

    Following you,
    have a great weekend:)

    http://devil-wears-gabbana.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Una and for following. I am folowing you back....you have a great blog :)
      XO
      Jessy

      Delete
  5. I love pinks just as much as I love reds. I definitely think there's a time and place for both. After finding the right shade of red which you're comfortable with you'll be sold on red forever!

    www.101FashionStreet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anca! I will keep trying them.....maybe if I had bigger/better lips I would liek red more ;)
      Xo
      Jessy

      Delete
  6. I'd love to wear more colours on my lips, I think pink can look really nice, especially neon pink with a tan. But I just don't suit it! Plus I think it's hard to find lipsticks in nice shades, seeing as I don't wear gloss. It can look awesome though, as you've shown here!
    Glad to hear your parcel arrived, hope you have a lovely new year :)
    tie-dye-eyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allie! Yes, I hear ya - I guess that is why they make so many different shades. :) Yes, thanks again for my "winnings"...I am really enjoying the products!
      XO
      Jessy

      Delete
  7. Great content of your blog, i really like it. Best wishes, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love red, but pinks are simply classic and timeless. I think you look amazing in pink! Great choices! xoxo

    www.fashionmavenmommy.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to follower other bloggers back so please take the time to "follow" through GFC and leave me a comment letting me know that you did so I can follow you back :)
Thank you for taking the time to comment, as well! I LOVE to read every one.
XO
Jessy