I was hesitant to do this post because I do not have great skin, but after I thought about it I realized that is the exact reason that I should do this post! For all the other women (I know I am not alone in this!) that suffer from issues with their skin and would love to know what worked for someone else so they can see if it might work for them.
Let me set this up by saying that I never struggled with bad acne as a teen, but I had and still do get the occasional flare up mostly associated with when my hormones are acting out of control :( I also started getting brown spots or hyper-pigmentation when I was pregnant with my first baby. Those did not go away and continued to multiply and get worse with each pregnancy. I also get dark spots from the hyper-pigmentation that will be left over for months after any type of blemish regardless of how small. Oh the joys of getting older :(
To round out my skin issues, I have also had larger pores my entire life - I am told this is hereditary They have always bothered me since I have always yearned for that smooth flawless porcelain skin look that I admire on many other girlfriends. Oh well, that is just not to be for me. But I can fake it pretty well with all the great products on the market today :)
So I do have a different routine for am and pm. I am going to share my morning routine here and I will share my evening routine in another post soon.
Well, there you have it! Those are the products I use every morning - whether or not I am leaving the house or planning on seeing anyone - even if I am going for a run - this is what I do . It is the same each and every day. Please see below for the products and the order in which I apply them each morning.
- It Works! Cleanser Gel 1.0 - I start by pulling my hair back in a clip and I wash with It Works! Cleanser Gel 1.0. It is made with natural botanical ingredients and is so gentle. A little goes along way without drying out your skin. I just wet my face, put a dime size amount in my hand and use a circular motion all over my face. Tip: ALWAYS wash your face for at least a full 60 seconds. It takes that long to loosen the dirt and oil and get it out of your pores.
This stuff is also great at getting any left over waterproof mascara off your eyelashes. I gently sweep it over my eyelids when washing my face and done!
- Philosophy On a Clear Day Oil Free All Over Blemish Treatment - this product is no longer offered, but they have replaced it with an almost identical one in their line called "Clear Days Ahead". Basically it is an oil absorbing salicylic acid gel. I put a small amount on my finger tips and work it into my T-zone and area that I am prone to blemishes. This stuff really keeps any break outs at bay!
- Jan Marini C-ESTA Serum - This Vitamin C serum is perfect for controlling oil, brightening my complexion and even firming my skin. I truly do feel an immediate difference when I apply this product. Vitamin C is an absolute MUST for any one's skin in the defense of free radicals. I only wish I was using this in my 20's. Maybe my skin would be different today......it's never too late to start making a difference, though :)
- It Works! Lifting Lip and Eye Cream - I apply a very small dab of this under each eye and around my lips. It really helps with the fine lines and moisturizes those areas so that the make-up doesn't settle into the fine lines so badly.
- Mario Badescu Control Moisturizer - I use this when I am not using my BB cream for whatever reason. It is a very good moisturizing lotion for oily skin because it does not add to the "greasiness". Typically what I wear if I am going for a work out indoors (gym, etc) and don't need an SPF factor. I still use a moisturizer in the winter especially even if I am going for a work-out because my skin while typically a bit on the oily side it still can get very dry and drab looking if I don't stay moisturized.
- Garnier Skin Renewal BB Cream - This is what I typically use as a moisturizing whether I am going to be applying make-up over it or not. It has an SPF factor which is a must for me. I never ever tan my face and do not expose it to the elements unprotected at all. This product is excellent for a light coverage AND SPF protection for my skin. It also works beautifully as a "base" for my make-up since it instantly brightens and helps to cover my skin's uneven texture and tone.
So there you have it! That is my routine - lengthy? I suppose, but it is what I feel that I have found keeps my skin in balance and feeling and looking it's best every day.
I would love to hear what you guys think or if you have product recommendations. Especially if you suffer from any of the frustrations that I have with my skin!
Thanks for reading and Happy Tuesday :)