Thursday, January 10, 2013

Get Gorgeous Hair!!

Okay, I am not the authority in gorgeous hair - not even close I assure you!  I do however have A LOT of hair.  I have spent years trying to take the best care of it that I can.  Since I like long hair and still keep mine long it is a challenge to also keep it healthy.  As I have gotten older I have noticed (really seen it in the last 5 years or so) that keeping longer hair is quite a challenge. My ends get more dry more quickly and my scalp seems to get oily more easily (yuk!).  Of course, dry ends mean split ends and breakage so growing it longer is difficult. Oily scalp means a need to wash it every day which dries it out further and so we have a vicious circle.

Well, over the last few years I have come up with a tips and tricks that I would like to share with you - and of course the products that I am using to help me achieve healthy strong hair.
Now, I understand that what I use may not be for everyone, but for my hair texture and type it works. What is my texture and type?  Natural wave, thick and course and very very over processed! Okay, so here goes.......

So here are the products that I regularly use and love:


My tips:

1. First things first - get a regular trim.  I used to go every 8 weeks for a trim of the dead ends, but I have played with the timing and between my stylist and I, we have figured out that for me it seems to be best if I get trimmed every other trip into the salon. I am generally in for highlights every 8 weeks (I know this is damaging, but another thing that gets tougher as I get older is keeping my blonde as blonde as I want it to be!). I used to get a trim each time I was in, but now I do it every other time - saves money, too - BONUS! ;)

2. Wash your hair no more often than every 2-3 days - seriously! I try to wash my hair every 3rd day (depending on what is on the calendar).  If I  don't want to cover it with a hat then I use a dry shampoo on day 2 and 3.  You can see my favorite in the pic above - Batiste.  I have tried them ALL. This one is by far my favorite. It doesn't weigh hair down or make it feel "gunky" like many of them do. It comes in several fresh scents (my favorite is "blush" - the pink can). The best part might be that it is only about $8 and can be found in many grocery stores and drug stores.TIP: spray it on the roots around your face before going to bed - when you wake up in the morning your hair will be fresh and bouncy and there won't be in residue!

3. Supplements/Vitamins:  I recently (about 2 months ago) started taking Nourage (red container in pic above). Yes, it is due to the fact that I think Kyle Richards (Real Housewives of Beverly Hills) has amazing long thick hair and I figured if it worked for her then what was wrong with giving it a try?  The results? I truly feel that my hair has improved since I began taking this. The active ingredient in Nourage is Keratin.

3. Fekkai Shampoo and Conditioners: I really love this product line. My favorite product by far from Fekkai is the Salon Technician Color Care Moisture Mask. I use this pretty much every time I wash my hair since that is only about every 3 days. After shampooing I wring all the water I can out of my hair and slather a pretty good amount of this all over the hair shaft from about mid way up to the ends and I use a wide tooth comb to comb through my hair evenly distributing it. I then take a very light amount and smooth it from my forehead back and massage lightly into my scalp. I leave this on while I finish the rest of my shower (usually about 5-10 minutes). The final step is to wash it out with luke warm to cool water. I always turn my water temp way down to do this final step and it is cold, but important. Cool/cold water seals the hair shaft and will leave you with silkier shinier hair immediately!
I also have picture above the Silky Straight Ironless Shampoo and Conditioner. These are also wonderful and really do help to smooth your hair!  I wouldn't say it makes my hair "Ironless" if I want to wear it straight,  but it does seem to keep some of the natural wave at bay :)

4. Pantene Aqua Light Shampoo: I recently discovered this shampoo (is it new?) and I love it.  I am not really a Pantene user generally, but I think this one is a winner. It does not have silicone in it which really helps to not weigh hair down.  It is clarifying enough to really get all of the product out, but without over stripping my hair. So far so good.....at only $5 a bottle it's worth a gamble to see if it works for you!

5. Argan oil: I know that adding oil to your hair has been all the rage this past year or so I have to admit when the news first came out about it I thought there is no way that would work for me. I mean, yes, my ends are dry and damaged, but how could I add oil to my hair and not have an oily, gross mess? Well, I set out to try many different brands (above I have pictured 3 that I have used). Of all of them that I have tried only one has truly worked out for me and that is pictured in the golden bottle above, "Agadir: Argan Oil Leave in Treatment".  I put a small (nickle sized amount) in the palm of my hand when I get out of the shower and distribute it through my hair starting with the ends and then working up to the roots. I then comb it through (starting at the ends and working up).  An added benefit is that it reduces drying time!  I had no idea that the product even claimed that until recently, but it really does work.

6. Air Dry and Use an Anti-Static wide tooth comb: I always air dry my hair as long as possible before finishing it with a blow dryer.  Typically I wash my hair in the evening so I can let it air dry for an hour or two before using the blow dryer. If I tried to let my hair completely air dry it would take at least 4 or 5 hours - maybe longer - so I do always have to "finish" it with my Ulta Ion Anti-Static comb and a blow dryer. This comb (pictured above) is my favorite ever. It is an incredible comb and completely eliminates all static from my hair - completely!  I have not dealt with ANY static at all this year (first year I have used this particular wide tooth comb! :)  I highly recommend this one!

**Update - I didn't mention this originally, but it is worth a mention: your hair will actually "get used" to going longer between washes and your scalp will slow it's oil production.  Try it for a couple of weeks and you will notice a big difference (Another great tip from my stylist :)

Okay, well this post has been entirely longer than I anticipated, but I guess I had a lot to say! :)
I would love to hear your thoughts and any products that you love for gorgeous healthy hair, too. I look forward to your comments!
XO 
Jessy 

6 comments:

  1. I too have TONS of hair! Aragan Oil is the best. I also use a Roberto Gianni oragnic serum, which is great for FRIZZ. But believe it or not, my $3.34 Garnier Shine Spray is my cannot live without item. I have one with me at all times!!!! My hair is super thick, coarse, and gets super frizzy with the humdity and this product helps tremendously with flyaways! I swear by it and it actually replaced an $18 salon product that was discontinued and I went into "freak out" mode :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, Summer! I will try out the Garnier Shine Spray :)

      Delete
  2. I use that dry shampoo also! Thanks for the great hair info!
    http://sincerelyarizona.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for the tips, Jessy! They're very much needed, because my hair doesn't seem to be feeling well:-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! I have the same hair issues as you, oily scalp & dry ends. On top of that my hair is very fine so I definitely cannot go 3 days without washing my hair but I wish I could! I have to use dry shampoo on the second day.

    I like your blog and I followed back :)

    Robyn xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started taking the keratin vitamins too. I saw a lot of Nourage reviews and the company seemed reputable, so I gave it shot, and I see new growth after a few months. I am hoping it looks like Kyle’s soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love to follower other bloggers back so please take the time to "follow" through GFC and leave me a comment letting me know that you did so I can follow you back :)
Thank you for taking the time to comment, as well! I LOVE to read every one.
XO
Jessy