Sunday, August 11, 2013

Recipe: Summer Salad (yes, I know it's almost fall! ;)

I LOVE to cook and eat - seriously!  You can catch me in the kitchen most times that you can't find me in my closet or shopping - okay, I am kidding!! ;)  Really, though, I am always trying to come up with yummy dishes that incorporate fresh whole foods and make great meals, snacks and side dishes. In other words dishes that taste amazing and keep me from reaching for other unhealthy options! 

So today I am going to share with you my version of a cucumber and tomato salad which I think is one of the best salads all year round even though it is most often thought of as summer salad. There are few key ingredients that I think make this one stand out from your run of the mill cucumber and tomato mix (which I still happen to love any way you put them together!).  

Enjoy and let me know what you think after you have tasted this for yourself :)


You will start with tomatoes and cucumbers (which I like to peel first) and I also like to add a red onion (mmmm..my fav!). For today's salad I purchase cherry tomatoes. Last week I used beef tomatoes and the week before I used a mixture of styles and sizes from my friend's garden. Point is, ANY tomatoes will work - just use what you  like :)


Whatever it is that you use, chop them up to a good bite size and place them in the bowl. How many you use is up to you. This was an entire 10.5oz package (about 2 cups) of cherry tomatoes.  

After the tomatoes I chop the cucumbers and then the onion. Again, how much of each is up to you. In this salad I used 2 larger cucumbers and 1 medium sized red onion. 

 Now for the "toppings" :)
I use about 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic, a tablespoon of olive oil (I like flavored olive oils like this garlic and basil one),  "pour" or two of Bianco Modena white condiment and a few "shakes" of dill weed. 
This is where I differ in my recipe from most you will find out there. Many people use olive oil and vinegar, but I think the difference is using the Bianco Modeno. Bianco Modeno has the same ingredients as Balsamic Vinegar of Modeno but using all white ingredients. 
Here is a link to purchase one on line. I purchased mine at Kroger and bought their "store brand" called Private Selection. I think any brand will be just fine. I do store mine in the fridge after opening, but I don't know if that is necessary - just an FYI.

I also add salt and garlic salt to taste even though I forgot to picture those!


 After adding in all the "toppings" I stir it all up with a big spoon and viola - yumminess!!!

 I make this at least once a week and it usually lat very well in the fridge for 2-3 days.

I also wanted to mention my favorite and inexpensive knives that I LOVE from Target!  I have a much more expensive knife block full of knives that I really do not even use anymore. I packed the knife block away originally because of my young children and had purchased a couple of these (they come with covers) to keep in a basket in a high cabinet that they can't reach. I quickly realized how great they were and I wish I had known about these years ago!  I would have been using these all along.

 These are the two sizes that I use the most often although I do have 2 smaller sizes, as well. This larger and and a slightly smaller knife cut everything from watermelon to tomatoes to onions and apples. 

(for reference the knives pictured are the 7" Santoku - green and the 6" All-Purpose knife - yellow/orange)


Recipe in full: 
  • 2 Large Cucumbers (or any amount that you like!:) sliced into bite size pieces
  • 2 cups of cherry tomatoes (or any amount that you like!) cut in half
  • 1 medium red onion - sliced thin and chopped in half
  • 1 Tbsp of olive oil (I use garlic and basil flavored)
  • 1 or 2 turns in the bowl of Bianco Modena (I just add this into the bowl and taste until it is "right")
  • 1 (or so) Tbsp of chopped garlic
  • salt
  • garlic salt
  • dill weed (I just shake what looks like a good amount to me on top before mixing up ;)
I toss all the above into a large bowl and mix it up well before serving and enjoy! Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.  

XO 
Jessy 




2 comments:

  1. Great salad! Love summer and healthy salads! Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lara! Hope to see you around here again....I love to post my healthy recipes from time to time :)
      XO
      Jessy

      Delete

I love to follower other bloggers back so please take the time to "follow" through GFC and leave me a comment letting me know that you did so I can follow you back :)
Thank you for taking the time to comment, as well! I LOVE to read every one.
XO
Jessy